Saturday, June 14, 2008

father's day

So tomorrow's father's day...that day tends to make me a little sad.  Maybe it'll be different some day when I'm a father, but for now just being the child and not having a dad here, it's a little sad.  I do think back to the fun memories though...dad out in the back yard working in the garden...me and him going to watch softball games down at the park and bringing oranges...he'd cut a hole in one end and we'd squeeze out the juice and have really yummy orange juice...I can still remember his voice.
 
The older I get, the more people that knew him tell me how much I'm beginning to look/sound like him.  I like that.  Not that there's anything wrong with my mom's side of the family...they're all great, and that's the side that we did stuff with as a kid.  But it's just nice to hear...to have that connection.
 
And, of course, I'm sure tomorrow at church, in Jim's lesson he'll probably talk about how for some people it's not an easy day, perhaps they have a strained relationship with their dad, or their dad abandoned them, or as in my case, they died...and praise be to God that we have our heavenly Father looking out for us, comforting us and guiding us.  Which is true.  Over the years, I have relied so much on the comfort and peace that can only come from Him.  Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have my dad alive still...but that's a pointless thing to dwell on.  Life is what it is, and God is in control.
 
Happy Father's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember his voice too, Todd. I still remember his hands, I remember his smile. I remember him calling me Doodlebug. He has been gone for 18 years now and I still cry in an instant thinking about him. I too have people tell me they see Dad in me more and more and I get older. I absolutely love hearing that. It like getting a hug from Dad.

Alice

Anonymous said...

...AS I get older not ...AND I get older. I missed that one through my tears.