Sunday, February 24, 2008

Does it hurt?

So tonight, Joyful and I got matching tattoos. She made up a cool 26.2 design (being the artistic person that she is) to commemorate us doing our first marathon. She got hers on her hip, and I got mine on my calf. I thought it was appropriate to put it on my right calf since it was my right heel that I broke a year and a half ago...that calf muscle still isn't the same size as my left one. For those who live in Lincoln, we got them done at Iron Brush (www.ironbrush.com), and Kevin Chasek was the tattoo artist that did them. He was very friendly and did great work. As the title of this post says, Does it hurt? Well, they are poking you repeatedly with a needle. They say that your body kicks in some endorphins and makes the pain go away...that's more or less true. The thing with this tattoo is that it's not very big, so, for me anyways, by the time the endorphins started to kick in, he was basically done. The one I've got on my right upper arm is a little bigger, and I don't recall it hurting as much as this one...but it's not like it was ever unbearable or anything like that...just kind of an annoying pain. They say that tattoos are addictive...I don't know about that, but I suppose I am up to 2 of them now. The only other one I plan on ever getting is someday when Joyful and I have a kid, I want to get his/her handprint put on my left upper arm...

6 comments:

Anna said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog. Pretty fun stuff. I really love your comments about God...and your shoe thing made me laugh out loud! I did not know you got a tattoo...or Joyful for that reason...Grrr.... But, I like it!

Anna said...

I meant, "for that matter!"

Eliina said...

So we know what the design represents but can you explain the design?

Todd Stoves said...

So I've discovered that people don't get the design of my tattoo. I showed it to a couple people at work and had to explain it both times, and Eliina wants me to explain it as well, so here's the explanation of the design. It's 2 designs in one...it's a 26.2 to represent the distance of the marathon, and the 6 also makes a person running...most creative on Joyful's part if I say so myself :)

Shane Coffman said...

I got it! I think it is a wonderfully clever design. Way to go, Joyful!

Renee said...

I got it too! I love it! When I do my first, Joyful needs to design something wonderfully clever for me as well. Though it would probably have to be a sticker or an iron on tattoo thingy or something. Randall hates tattoos. I'm so excited for you guys!